Monday, January 18, 2016

Interview with Adelise M Cullens

With several Short Stories, novellas and now Anthologies, it is no wonder this power-house writer got picked up as a Staff Writer for Ink Blood Publishing. (Why, thank you!)

Q. You just finished writing “The Althorn Encounters”. How was that experience for you?


A. Hectic and exciting! I don’t think I have ever written so quickly before. My process is normally pretty relaxed and deadline-free. I also like to write a variety of things, so writing four stories with ‘death’ as the subject made want to think about nothing but sunshine and lollipops for a while.


Q. One of our favorite stories in the collection is “Hanging Onto Hope”. We got the sense that it is about Forgiveness and Redemption but is a dark as well. Can you tell us what inspired this wonderful read?


A. Good question. Sadly, I got the idea from a true story, or rather a number of them. One of my work colleagues had a distant family member that passed and was not found for a number of days. My over-active imagination took that idea for a dance and “Hanging Onto Hope” is what came out. There have been several stories in the news over the years of people being forgotten, some found up to ten years later. It always makes me so sad.

.
Q. While writing your stories for “The Althorn Encounters” Did you feel a special connection to any of the characters? Is there any character in particular you would like to talk about with your fans?



A. Karen from Killing For Pages has been around for a long time. I wrote that short story around three years ago and I have been hanging on to it, waiting for its time. When Althorn came into my life I had found a place for Karen. This is more of a prologue to a bigger story about the lengths a writer will go to for her writing and the consequences of those lengths. I also have a special place in my heart for Neil in that story and I honestly still cannot decided whether he is a bad guy or a good guy. I guess I will find out when I finish that book! I do believe the best villains are ones that you can feel sympathy for, the ones you can see the why behind the terrible thing that they do. And likewise, the best protagonist are the ones that don’t always do the right thing. This is why I like this story.


Q. You are now about to start on your second project with Ink Blood. Can you give your readers a little taste of what you have in store for “The Apocalypse Collection?”


A. My story is about Captain Michelle Swanson, a scientist for the military. Michelle is a mycologist, a scientist that studies fungi. What does the military want with a mycologist? Who knows? One day she awakes to find that something is wrong. Animals are going crazy, attacking people. Whole flocks of birds are dropping dead from the sky. And then horror breaks out across the world…


Q. We know your talent goes well beyond short stories. Which other books have you written would you recommend to your newest fans?


A. You could read my novelette series starting with “Searching For The Silent Lady.” It is full of fighting and fantasy and adventure. You could also hang out for my debut novel “Dead Bunnies Make all Eight of Me Cry.” It is a weird tale about a women with Dissociative Identity Disorder or what used to be called Multiple Personalities. I have been told it is “hard to pigeon hole into a genre” so I will just say it is New Adult/Dark Comedy/Horror/Chick Lit/Fantasy/Humour/Fiction. See, that wasn’t so hard!



Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with us and we look forward to seeing much more of your brilliant work in the near future!

(You’re welcome! And thank you!)

Read more by this wonderful author and check out her short stories in The Althorn Encounters.



AMAZON

No comments:

Post a Comment